Thursday, August 12, 2010

This Year.....

Sad little piles,
of clothes thrown,
on the floor. My
backpack upended,
on my bed, its bowels strewn,
on the bed. Possesions of mine,
useful, and useless thrown indiscriminately,
around.
This year I hope to be more organized...





I turn my backpack upside down,
shaking it from side to side,
and smacking it against the wall,
as if that would somehow,
make my homework appear.
I throw random objects around the room,
not caring about their value. I throw my backpack
against the wall, not caring my phone is in there.
I pound my closet door, thrying to vent,
my anger. Shake my hand, ignore the sting of pain
I rage and curse, not caring thats its my fault,
that I lost every single piece of my homework.
Not even wondering at the unreasoning anger I
feel.
This year I hope to be a calmer person...





I manuever the forklift around
construction areas so messy
they put my room to shame.
The wind blows a cloud of dust,
and the smell of stale sweat
into my face, but I ignore it
focusing on the task at hand.
Right now the task is to move
pallets carrying steel pieces.
In the next hour I might be
shoveling dirt, or breaking
concrete. It doesn't matter...
Its the fact that I make my own money,
the freedom of it, that makes it worthwhile
This year I hope to be a more independent.




My eyelids droop with fatigue,
slowly closing as if
a heavy weight bears down on them.
I curse myself for not doing my work
as soon as I got home.
As usual I ended working till twelve.
My will keeps me awake,
so that I can finish my homework,
before I drop off to sleep.
The droning hum of the crickets,
and the hooting cry of an owl,
ring through the night.
The night sounds produce a hypnotic effect,
everything else drowned out, a lullaby at midnight.

My head bangs into my keyboard,
and I start as a song starts to blare
out. I squint at my screen, and am
amazed to see
that while I was
zoned out, I finished my work.
I drop into a bed with a book,
but before I even touch the book,
I'm out cold.
This year I hope to be more responsible...





My mind slowly wanders as I stand on the football court.
There was not a lot going on, and I idly daydreamt.
A warning rent like the air like a thunderbolt.
Next thing I knew, a player
from the other team,
a younger-looking man, barreled into me.
I sailed sideways and landed hard,
I skidded on the floor, trying not to
cry out as the skin on my back and
legs shredded and was scraped off.
I got up with a grimace,
feeling like someone set my nerves
on fire. I hobbled over to the goal,
to defend, cautiously watching out for any other
crazy people.
This year I hope to be a more attentive and aware person....

No comments:

Post a Comment